Ongoing increase in expenses due to family expansion, recession, unemployment, changes in the labour market and many other factors do exist in all big and small economies around the world and UK is no exception.
All these are unavoidable situations and the only way out a common man may have is to set up a side business.
This article will focus on some of the best small business ideas that are popular yet profitable in the UK. These small business ideas either involve a very low cost or else these are no cost businesses. Let’s look into the options:
1. Antiques Trade: You may do this business offline, but trading on websites like eBay will get you more buyers.
2. Babysitting: This is best option if you can spare a few hours in morning or evenings and know some working and busy parents desperate to have your service.
3. Elder Care: This will require almost same skills that you need for babysitting. However, think differently and you can set up an elder’s cafe or something like this within your house where elders meet elders, and have their own local social networking just like old times. They will love it, their families will also and of course you too!
4. Bed and Breakfast: Ideally, if you’ve got a spare room, let it earn some extra pounds for you!
5. Paying Guest Service: The one above may not be always be earning, so plan and get it done professionally. This is the best option if you live near tourists’ places or a student area.
6. Homemade Cupcakes: Get some extra pounds if you love baking!
7. Custom Cakes: You love making and decorating cakes? Shooting pictures and sharing on Facebook! Just do it professionally and turn it into a business!
8. Car Cleaning/Valeting: This could be a perfect side business if you are already employed in similar sort of business. Starting it as a specialized business will however need you to focus fully on it.
9. Catering: You don’t need and formal qualifications for such business, it’s all about producing and delivering good food.
10. Computer Repairer/Troubleshooter: Everyone needs it everywhere, all you need to do is to market yourself in the target market segment.
11. Cosmetics Sales: You may need lot of time to meet people to sell stuff, but it you sell online, that can generate more sales in less time.
12. Data Entry: Probably not for everyone, but yes for those students in the UK who want to do something stay at home.
13. Content Development: If you are good at writing, why not to make it a business!
14. Dinner Preparation: If you know cooking multiple cuisine and know people who need your service, why not to turn your skill into a proper business!
15. Office Food Delivery: Home cooked food delivered in office is a blessing for those poor souls who are tired of eating junk and unhealthy food on daily basis. Help them to help yourself!
16. Personal Shopper: There are lot of people in all localities who do not have time to shop for groceries even. Find them and get your business.
17. Become a DJ: You make money with extreme fun. Isn’t it?
18. Event Organisation: Get some weddings and birthday parties done for your friends and distribute your business card there. You will get good business for sure!
19. Child Day Care: If you’ve a baby and you want to help new mothers, why not to hire a few maids and set up your own business. All you need to do is to do a short course with Britishdoulas.co.uk and work locally.
20. Everything 10 Pounds Online Gift Shop: It will need some investment, but you may avoid buying stuff if they are available in the market and you buy only when you get orders.
21. Flower Delivery Service: Hundreds of people have birthdays daily and tens of people want to wish them with flowers!
22. Garage Sale Every Month/Week: You know what you can sell in your area and where to market your sale for more visitors!
23. House Cleaning Services: We all need a clean house, but not all of us can do it at our own for multiple reasons.
24. Gardening Services: Everyone wishes to keep a garden, but maintaining it is not that easy. This is where you get the chance to do business!
25. Home Based Vegetable Garden: Produce fresh, sell fresh and make fresh money!
26. Handmade Greeting Cards: Email, SMS, Facebook and everything else is there, but people still treat their loved ones specially. This is just one such way!
27. Handyman Services: It’s not a big deal if you know the way round a toolbox!
28. Private Tutor: All you need to have is the ability to make your students understand the concepts!
29. Teach English to Foreigners: Market your services in some areas populated by expats and see how many people need you!
30. Ironing Service: People who have a high end automatic washing machine still need lot of time to iron clothes. Most of them hate it. Just pitch them and get your business!
31. Pick & Delivery Laundry Service: It’s not a new idea, but always in high demand. You will find the market everywhere!
32. Costume Jewellery: Design your own, but no worries if you cannot. Buy from market, keep your profit and sell it!
33. Knitting: If you are an expert in this niche, why not to sell your handmade stuff for best price!
34. Alteration/Sewing Services: Everyone wears clothes and so they need these services. Define your own market and start your business today!
35. Leaflet Distributing: If you are a student or an employed individual with lot of outdoor work, why not to add this in the To Dos. Help others to help yourself!
36. Market Research: You may join online surveys or even get in touch with the local research companies who pay you for your opinion.
37. Musical Performance: If music is your passion, why not to perform in local events. You will get more audience and more business!
38. Virtual Assistant: If you spend lot of time online, why not to turn your fun time into proper business.
39. Pet Grooming: All pet lovers want their pets to look fabulous, but of course not all can do it at their own. So find such people and get your business!
40. Dog Walking: Animals love outdoor and people who love their dogs but are not able to provide them the outdoor need your help! It’s really good paying business!
41. Mobile Manicure/Pedicure Service: Going to parlour is not easy for all, specially those who are too busy with lot of other works. It will work perfect for them if you help them at home and they won’t bother to pay you extra as well.
42. At Home Hair Removal Service: Waxing/Threading etc is a tough stuff and if you provide it in a comfy place like their home, they will definitely love it and will pay extra too!
43. Niche Blogging: Just write about your expertise, publish it and get people on your blog. Money will come itself!
44. Rent Your Parking Space: You own a parking space but have no car or have an extra parking? Rent it out for additional income!
45. Rent Out Your Stuff: People need your lawnmowers, yacht and stuff like that. Make it your side business to stay profitable!
46. Amazon Books: Love reading books? Do it for money! Write book reviews and make money selling the books through Amazon’s affiliate programme.
47. Bid and Sell Lost Luggage: Auction houses from around the country routinely auction the lost luggage that the airlines have failed to match with their owners. All you need to do is to bid, buy and sell stuff either in local garage sale or on eBay. Profit depends on what’s in the bag!
48. Translation Service: If you are an expert in a second language, translation services are in high demand in the UK. Most of the offshore companies in the UK and especially those which have European headquarters in UK need translation services for localized content and marketing material.
49. Modelling: If you look model like or can turn yourself into a model like look with makeup and style, you can make good money with ads, photoshoots or appearances in the events.
50. Website Designing & Development: It’s probably one of the highly demanded service as every business needs a website. If you have an expertise in this niche, it can be a highly earning full time business!
51. Photographer: Become a wedding or social photographer in some family or friends’ function and see how much is the demand! Everyone wants a beautiful picture of them that’s what only you can deliver them!
52. Wedding Planner: Do it for a friend first to see your potential and you will find a lot of customers if you can do this well!
These are just a few ideas and you may bring any innovation at your own. However, many of these businesses will require you to have licenses and permits from local bodies to start operations. Do check out our guidelines to get your sole trader business registered in the UK.