Now’s the best time to start an online tutoring startup.
Because people are flocking to online learning due to the COVID-19 threat, you have a higher than usual chance to succeed running this business model.
While most industries were affected adversely due to the COVID-19, online tutoring, on the other hand, is gaining massive traction.
Even having said that, it’s worth pointing out that you still need to implement the right strategies and use reliable tools to keep your startup afloat — or thriving, even.
Although there isn’t a 100% foolproof survival guide for businesses to overcome the COVID-19 crisis, the tips in this post can help grow your online tutoring startup, increasing your chances of success.
1- Create a Business Plan
Come up with a business plan for your online tutoring startup. This helps you identify and establish your strategies, including how you’ll win over clients and manage your team of online teachers.
A business plan outlines how you will achieve your business goals, operate, market your services, and make your venture profitable.
Start building your business plan and include the following.
- Description of your services
- Market overview
- Operating plan
- Sales and marketing strategy
Once you have a general picture of your business operations, calculate your starting costs.
Consider factors, such as whether you need to purchase teaching aids and materials, pay for web hosting and website building platforms, sign up for a paid online tutorial software membership, and others.
As a startup online tutoring business, your business plan doesn’t have to be uber in-depth.
Start with the basics of developing a business plan and use it to set your goals, create a marketing strategy, and determine your expenses.
Having a business plan helps ensure you hit the ground running as your business takes off and minimize issues that would hinder your operations.
2- Use an Online Tutoring Software
Managing an online tutoring startup can be challenging if you’re using a plethora of online tools.
Not only will you spend more for countless third-party apps, but the sheer amount of time you spend logging in from one tool to another will wreck your productivity and make your processes long winded — all of which are harmful for your startup.
To prevent this, use a robust online tutoring software that lets you manage everything in a single platform, from scheduling lessons to billing and payments.
With an online class software, you’ll teach anywhere and anytime, with all the tools you need to run your classes at your fingertips.
This makes your business operations more productive and efficient.
You enjoy these other benefits when using a robust online tutoring software.
- Help students organize their class activities and tasks. Online class platforms offer features that let students send documents, upload homework files, and more.
The software also lets you send your course materials directly to your students for fast and easy access.
- Easy scheduling. Scheduling features help your students book classes with you efficiently, which enables you to organize your teaching schedule.
Online class platforms can send automated appointment confirmations and reminder emails, making class scheduling more effortless, and minimizing no-shows.
- Quick access to video conferencing software integrations. Platforms with video communications software, such as Zoom, let you host conferences, webinars, and online classes.
This lets you meet one student or a classroom full of clients with ease and experience high-quality videos with minimal technical issues.
3- Establish an Online Presence
Make it easy for your prospective clients to find your startup and grow your revenue by establishing an online presence in strategic channels.
Social networks are excellent channels to promote your online tutorial services because they give you access to wide audiences, including your potential students and parents.
Create business profiles on Instagram and Facebook to connect with prospective clients.
Follow these tips to promote your online tutorial services on social media platforms.
- Post photos of you working with your students (with your client’s permission) on your profile.
- Promote your ongoing discounts and special offers on your social media pages.
- Post micro-content or blogs about tips for students who are taking online classes for long periods.
- Invest in paid social media advertising to ensure your promotional efforts reach your intended audiences and prospects.
- Create or join Facebook groups to share your expertise and establish yourself as an authority in your industry.
- Share short How-to clips with educational content, previews of your course outline, and more.
It’s one way of using video to promote your business while educating your audience about your services.
- Share Instagram stories of what happens behind the scenes, such as showing your process of preparing to teach an online class. It’s a great way to build connections with your audiences.
Google My Business Listing
Google is one of the first places that people go to when searching for online tutors.
Ensure your business shows up on the first page when potential customers search for tutors in your local area by completing your Google My Business listing.
Doing so helps you manage your business’ presence across Google (including Google Maps), increase your visibility, and improve your chances of gaining more clients.
Get your business listed on relevant online directories to help expand your reach and online presence.
Some online directories also give out special offers and deals for membership listings to help business owners cope with the effects of the COVID-19 crisis, so use this opportunity to make your business more visible.
Online directories make it more convenient and easier for your potential clients to learn about your services, so get listed on as many as possible.
4- Run High Performing Marketing Campaigns
You can have the best online tutoring service in the world, but if you don’t invest in marketing, no one will learn about your tutoring startup.
Develop high-converting marketing strategies to get your business in front of your potential clients. Start by building on these marketing methods.
- Email marketing. Create email marketing campaigns to let your network know about your services, reach out to prospects, and provide recipients with promotional content and offers.
Email marketing is low-cost with potential for excellent returns and easily manageable for freelancers and those without a huge marketing team.
Plus, you can automate your campaigns, which helps streamline your marketing efforts.
- Share customer testimonials. Ask your first few satisfied clients for customer reviews and post them on your website and social media pages.
Word-of-mouth marketing such as this doesn’t require a huge investment, and it’s a great way to build trust with your customers and establish your business’ credibility.
- Offer free consultations. Provide incentives to make your offered services irresistible. It doesn’t have to be something big, and instead, offer your initial consultation for free.
Like any venture, starting an online tutoring business is not an easy feat.
With the right attitude, strategies, and tools, however, you’ll be on your way to building a successful online tutoring startup.
If you found this guide helpful, please take a few seconds of your time to share it. Cheers!