Almost every startup has to go for a heavy lifting in the early stage. Let it be finding the right people, taking care of funding, product development and testing or outreach, the entrepreneurs are mostly jack of all.
Though entrepreneurs are experts in their given fields, and may also know the basics of conducting business online, they are not much worried about the startup SEO in the initial. A small SEO consideration in the beginning can make a huge difference for the complete product life cycle.
The best idea is to get help of professional SEO services provider, but if you want to save costs in the beginning; following SEO best practices can get you on the right track.
It’s important to start SEO for a startup website right from the beginning because, SEO results take months to show up and starting sooner is better.
Here I am going to list the essential SEO elements and tasks that must be covered on a startup website. Some of these may take a few minutes only, while others may require parallel efforts that you can delegate to one or more specific persons!
1- Install Google Analytics: It’s a must even if you are really not bothering about SEO, because you must know who is coming to your website from where in the world, using which device and other metrics about your visitors.
2- Connect with Google Webmaster Tools: Linking, Google Webmaster Tools with Google Analytics helps getting more insight into how users are finding your site organically. This can further help in modifying the strategies accordingly. Google Webmaster tool will need some settings out of which the most important ones are:
- Creating a robots.txt file and uploading it to the root directory of your site.
- Creating sitemap.xml file and uploading it to the root directory of your site.
- Submit sitemap to Google Webmaster Tools for indexing.
The above two will not need more than half an hour to set everything up. Now let’s move to the tasks that need bit of details.
3- Find the Right Keywords: Keywords are not just the backbone of SEO, but you cannot run a single good marketing campaign without right keywords. I lately wrote a detailed guide on the topic, do check details on How to Find the Best Keywords for Your Website SEO & SEM Campaigns.
4- Distribute the Keywords Correctly: Once, the keywords list is ready, break up your target keywords into small groups of semantically similar phrases. Next is to assign each group to a specific page on your website. In case if you you do not have more pages to fit all those keywords, line them up for upcoming blog posts.
5- Use the Keywords Rightly: Use the most important keywords in webpage title, the next important ones go in the meta description and other supportive keywords should go in the body content.
6- Create Compelling Content: Let it be a short product description, a detailed writeup about features and functions or a pitch, it must fulfil some basic SEO and readability elements, i.e.
- There should be at least 100 to 150 words of unique content on each page.
- Use headings (from H1 to H6) effectively.
- Format the content with bolds, italics, underlines, bullets and numbering!
- Set up a blog on your domain, and publish something on it as often as you can.
- Don’t just focus on text content: create videos, podcasts, webinars, infographics, illustrations, PDF downloads and all what that can entertain your users.
7- Finally Some Time for Link Building: Link building is important when it comes to build authority for your startup website and sustain this authority. The wise idea to start building good links is to look for your competitors in Moz’s Open Site Explorer, i.e. from where they are getting links.
Besides following competitors link sources, you can always rely on your own sources that may include:
- Submission to startup websites. Here at StartupGuys.net have listed some best places to submit your startup for huge promotion.
- Leveraging your PR efforts to ensure that all press mentions include a link back to your website.
- Listings on community boards, and industry associations you belong to.
The SEO essentials from number 3 to 7 mentioned above will need a good time on research and implementation and you may need to collaborate with writing and development teams for best results. However, if you plan to hand over your SEO to a professional, this article should give you a glimpse of what to follow up on with the professional.
P.S: This articles discusses the basic SEO elements for a startup website only (meant for entrepreneurs with little or no SEO expertise). SEO doesn’t just complete here; it is a whole science within itself and cannot be summed up in one post.