Artificial Intelligence seems to have penetrated every aspect of our society. In fact, AI is so ever-present in our lives that we often don’t even notice it. However, there are some fields where AI is still being applied in new and unexpected ways.
For instance, career guidance. AI can now help you decide which career will be the most suitable for you and help you plan your path. Here’s how AI-driven career guidance is paving the way for lucrative student job opportunities.
How Can AI Help Students Choose A Career?
More and more tools are springing up online claiming that they can help you with your career choice by using various AI technologies. In most cases, these tools look at a number of factors to give you a suggestion on the kind of career you should pursue:
- Your interests and aspirations.
- Your background (age, location, education, experience, etc.)
- The job market (job requirements, demand, etc.)
By analyzing these details, AI tools can find the best career match for you and give you suggestions on your next steps moving forward. For example, you might be most suitable to become an elementary school teacher, but you still need to receive certain certifications and upgrade your qualifications to be able to work as one.
A lot of such tools usually look at a wide range of factors that could affect the degree to which a specific job suits you. When it comes to skills, both hard and soft ones matter. You might be very knowledgeable about the field you want to work in but lack the necessary soft skills that would enable you to pursue certain positions. Similarly, you might have the right soft skills but have absolutely zero technical knowledge.
Join Our Small Business Community
Get the latest news, resources and tips to help you and your small business succeed.
The great news is that if you don’t have all the necessary credentials to get a particular job, you can still take the right steps to change the situation. For instance, you may have to get a degree or develop your communication skills or maybe even move to a different country or place within your country. A lot of AI career guidance tools will let you know about the things you lack that you will need to work on.
On the other hand, AI tools can give you suggestions based on your current abilities. There are many jobs that don’t require any special training or experience. You can even get hired for many different jobs even if you dropped out of school. In some cases, education plays a much smaller role than experience, so working up the career ladder won’t require you to have diplomas or certificates but rather a dedication to your job.
The Pros of Using AI for Career Guidance
The biggest reason why you should try an AI tool to help you choose your career is that it can give you guidance just as well as a human counselor can. Today, AI has come so far that it can imitate the human mind quite well and arrive at the same conclusions. In some cases, AI could even give you much better guidance and advice than a human counselor would simply because it can take into account more factors.
AI career guidance tools are also known for their speed. They can calculate which career path is the most suitable for you in just a few simple steps. If you’ve ever taken professional orientation tests, you know how long it can take to get the results, but AI tools don’t need all that time. They will give you a response almost instantly and help you make life-changing decisions in no time.
Even though AI will look at your education, it won’t be a decisive factor because you can always get additional training and improve your qualifications if necessary. But if you are currently a student and you are struggling with your studies, you can seek professional help. Hire an experienced academic writer from the writing agency Trust My Paper to help you tackle the most difficult assignments you get and keep up with your studies.
Remember that education is not the only defining factor that could impact your future. Your experience, skills, knowledge, connections, and opportunities among other things are equally if not more important. You need to consider all of these things when making the decision to pursue a particular career – and AI can help you with this.
The Cons of Using AI for Career Guidance
While there are definitely many reasons why using AI for career guidance is great, there are also quite a few cons that could potentially upset you or make you reconsider making your career choices simply based on AI recommendations. Here are some reasons why AI may not be the best solution for career guidance:
- AI can be biased. Depending on how the developers created a particular AI career guidance tool, you could get a response leaning more towards a particular perspective. Moreover, the tool in question may be unaware of all the new professions being created as our world changes.
- AI is not human. While machines can be really good at analysis and predictions, they still lack the human touch. They can’t fully understand how your feelings and emotions work and which values you support which means they can’t give you the kind of guidance a human counselor
- AI has its limitations. Many career guidance tools are so advanced that they can consider all kinds of factors that could affect your career. And yet, these tools are still limited and may not be able to accurately assess who you are as an individual, what the job market will be like in the near future, and how you can find the best job for yourself.
- AI can only give short-term predictions. The world is changing so quickly that the education you receive quickly becomes outdated and you have to upgrade your qualifications frequently. Moreover, what you like now could change in a few years and you might become interested in a completely different field. A lot of people switch careers multiple times throughout their lives. You don’t need to stick to a single thing for decades. That’s why AI can only give you guidance for the current you, not for who you will be in a year or a decade.
At the end of the day, it’s not enough to simply get advice from AI on which career you should pursue. You will still need to put in the effort to actually achieve whichever goals you set for yourself. However, using AI to drive your career choices is definitely a great idea for anyone who feels lost and wants to get advice based on a variety of factors.