Grooming products play the key role in success of a salon business; the better products you use, the happier customers you have and the more they talk about! But, grooming products are not just for salon use only, you can increase your profits easily by displaying items that you have available for customers to buy in your salon.
So, having the right grooming products in your salon can marginally improve your profits. But the choice of right products matter most. This article will guide you through tips to buy the best products you’re your salon business and how to sell them
1- Shortlist the Products that Best Match Your Niche:
It is important to have products that your target customers might be looking for. For instance, if you own a pet salon, you can choose from a vast array of items to sell, i.e. from food to toys, to grooming liquids and equipment. Think about all the dogs and cats and other pets that come in. Are the dogs mostly long haired, short haired, large or small? What type of coat do they tend to have and so on!
Answering these basic questions will give you a clear idea of what you can sell more in your salon.
Join Our Small Business Community
Get the latest news, resources and tips to help you and your small business succeed.
2- Consider Customer’s Preferences:
Getting customers’ opinion is a great way to find profitable products. Get them engaged in a conversation and know their preferences. Think about the products you would recommend to them between grooms and stock them.
3- Make Sure You Are Selling Highest Quality Products Only:
We are living in a commercial world, where anyone can get anything from anywhere. So why should your customers buy from you, when there are tens of other products available in the supermarkets. Here come the premium quality products that are not easily available everywhere. Have such products and make sure that the items you pick get good results quickly.
How to Sell More Products in Your Salon
Choosing the right products is a big step, but it is not enough to increase your salon’s profits, unless you have the right strategy to sell these products. Follow these simple yet effective tips to sell more grooming products.
- Keep your displays simple but interesting and easy to understand. Keep excess stock in the back room or a cabinet to stop overcrowding.
- Change your display frequently to keep your frequent visitors interested.
- Have a plan before you start moving things around. Create a simple drawing and decide where things should go before you start. Begin to think about how each of these product groups will look when they are together and how you want to display them.
- Keep some reading materials available too, for instance if you are selling men’s grooming products, give them a preview of how Manscaped makes the best razor as well as trimmer.
- Always show prices and sizes. Make it as easy as possible for the customer to learn what they can about the product before buying.
- Make it easy for customers. Choose your best selling products and place them at or near the reception area. This makes it simple for customers to spot and take from shelves when paying or signing in.
- Make it bold and interesting. Don’t display everything in the same way, choose different display types and levels to ensure the eye is drawn everywhere. People like a novelty, so including an unusual table or prop will add interest, for example, a bathtub with bathing products inside.
- Don’t overcrowd the space. Give easy access to every product and keep it neat and clean. Create simple but effective displays with different heights to keep the eye moving.
- Theme each section. Ensure your group products according to what they are and how they are used. Try to ensure the color scheme does not clash and ensure clashing colors are broken up by neutral tones. If using the same color in different tones, move from light to dark.
- Involve customers by giving them plenty to look at. Let customers know which products you have used in the groom.
- Add value. Keep your loyalty cards, displays on current offers and vouchers at the reception area where they are easy to spot.
- Promote the most profitable products on your website, social media and upcoming events. You might also want to run social media contests and giveaway a product to increase its demand.
- Neatly displayed business cards and posters will draw the eye. Make sure people become part of your community before they leave the salon and always give new customers your card and offer to book the next appointment.
- Good lighting. This is essential so customers know what they are looking at and can read the information you have provided.
The Bottom Line:
Grooming industry is a big business, and you can make your small scale salon more profitable by adding value to it through displaying and selling premium products. Ideally, you should have this in your salon business plan right from the beginning, but just in case, if you have missed this additional revenue stream in your business plan earlier, better late than never!