office view

What to Do with Surplus Office Furniture

In today’s corporate landscape, you don’t need a sprawling office space to be successful. Your work-from-home staff manages to get the job done from their kitchen tables and living room couches.

In fact, studies show knowledge workers are more productive at home, so it’s safe to say you can terminate your corporate lease and reap the financial benefits of ditching your costly real estate.

What to Do with Surplus Office Furniture

On paper, this is a simple enough task. But in practice, it can be challenging. You need to deal with hundreds of chairs, cabinets, fixtures, and desks before you can vacate your office.

If you aren’t sure what to do with these valuable assets, keep scrolling. This guide shows you how to get rid of office furniture you don’t need.

Liquidation: A Traditional Option

Perhaps the most common way to deal with extra office equipment is through liquidation. These services will sell roughly 20 percent of your used office furniture and discard the rest. That’s 80 percent of your inventory sent to the landfill.

Does 80 percent of your furniture belong in the garbage?

If most of your inventory is still functional, you should consider donating these items. It will keep furniture out of waste streams and help an organization in need.

Where Can I Donate Furniture?

This is perhaps the hardest question to answer on your own. If you don’t already have affiliates with charities and non-profits, you might be tempted to type the following vague phrase into your search engine: where to donate office furniture.

Join Our Small Business Community

Get the latest news, resources and tips to help you and your small business succeed.

What comes up will include a variety of charities that coordinate small-scale donations, like those organizations that arrange clothing pick-ups and toy drives. Not exactly what you’re after when you have thousands of desks, chairs, and other equipment on your hands.

A Sustainable Decommission Firm Has a Better Answer

The sustainable decommission industry formed in reaction to the wastefulness of the average office liquidation service. To offset liquidation’s environmental mistakes, sustainable decommission firms offer more eco-friendly ways to handle your relocation.

After selling as much of your inventory as possible, they show you how to donate office furniture through their vast network of non-profits in need.

With their guidance, you can choose the organization that best aligns with your corporate culture and interests. Then, they’ll arrange your office furniture removal and delivery to the charity of your choice.

Don’t worry if you have a lot of damaged furniture on your hands. If you can’t donate office furniture to charity because items are broken, a sustainable decommission firm focuses on strategically recycling the leftover items.

What Are the Environmental Advantages?

Every year, nearly 10 million tons of f-waste goes to landfill. Each cubicle in your office contributes as much as 700 pounds of this waste. To put that into perspective, that’s the equivalent of an adult grizzly bear for each cubicle.

By working with a decommission firm, you can divert most of that waste from the landfill. This comes with some impressive ecological benefits:

  • Frees up space in landfills
  • Reduces carbon emission produced by the manufacturing process and disposal
  • Reintroduces usable materials into production streams

What Will You Choose?

If you donate office furniture to a charity in need, they can outfit their administrative team without diverting valuable programming dollars to equipment. Better yet, you’ll also gain some serious sustainability bragging rights when you avoid the wastefulness of liquidation.

So, when it comes to dealing with your surplus inventory, it’s a no-brainer. Find a sustainable decommission firm to help you handle it with care.

__________________________________________________________________

Some other articles you might find of interest:

Make your business rock with these business plan writing skills:

Startup’s Guide to Write a Business Plan

Would you like to know how investors value a startup?

How Do Investors Value a Startup?