You may find many people arguing that entrepreneurial drive is a trait acquired at birth. But the other group disagrees and believes it to be acquired at any stage of life and actually they are right when you see some people starting up in late fifties and above!
Well, what is common in all successful entrepreneurs is that they are considered to be independent thinkers; they dare to dream and have a belief on themselves that they have the ability to succeed. So there are two things:
1- The Dream; It’s not a dream in real context, but the ‘vision’ actually which enables them to look into the future and have a bigger picture. Vision is all about having an idea with measurable goals and the strategy to achieve those.
2- Belief; since, it’s you who will be the main driving force behind your new business, so you need faith in yourself.
Join Our Small Business Community
Get the latest news, resources and tips to help you and your small business succeed.
Besides these two key factors, the entrepreneurial drive may vary person to person depending upon the demographics, social interaction, ideas, goals, competencies and a lot of other factors. Summarizing the factors that can contribute to one’s entrepreneurial drive, I will list few important points here:
- The entrepreneurial drive is a characteristic that flourishes within us; one can have it by birth or acquire it from the surroundings.
- Entrepreneurial tendencies are most commonly seen in the people who challenge themselves to do better.
- One important characteristics of wannabe entrepreneurs is that they are optimistic and believe in keep moving.
To explore the details a bit more, I asked some people over Linkedin and they replied as follows:
- Margey Lowery (President Scientific Entrepreneur Evaluations): Regardless of what it is, it is something that is innate.
- Mustapha Wale a Creative Entrepreneur: The freedom to do your own thing, executing your business innovative ideas.
- Emerson Lormeus: I love to help people in many different ways. That characteristic alone can keep me focused on any project or plan.
The Bottom Line:
As per my research, the entrepreneurial drive comes from inside, i.e. it’s like a seed planted within us before we’re even born. It may take years for one to discover his entrepreneurial drive, but it grows as we ourselves grow. I believe, that everyone has the entrepreneurial seed planted within, but it requires ideal surroundings for the seed to grow and once the seed takes root, there is no stopping! Even if you happen to fail in your first few ventures, you will succeed in the next one!